Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Module 8 - Course Application

Throughout this course, many different ideas, concepts, and philosophies have been covered in relation to teaching music.  Each of these ideas effect my teaching on a daily basis, some being new to me since beginning this class.  This knowledge has helped me to gain a better understanding of teaching music and how I should approach teaching every day.

While I do have a specific way I like to organize my classroom and teaching, I have realized that the four teaching philosophies have influenced what I do.  I have taken strategies from teachers I have learned from, just realizing during this course that I fit into the empiricist philosophy.  Now that I can see exactly what types of things that empirical thought provides I can better structure my teaching based on the principals of the philosophy.  I believe that my teaching style is that of the realistic empiricist.  I believe in an orderly classroom and tend to be the deciding factor on what is being taught or informing students on where to find the information.  I am interested in evaluating the results of the instruction but I am more interested in how the students are acquiring a particular skill.  With that being said, the way I go about aesthetic experiences in my classroom are very structured.  While I do not hope to have the same result for every student, I do provide the material for the aesthetic experience.  This class has given me the reasoning behind incorporating the aesthetic experience into the classroom.  I believe it is important to provide students the opportunity to have aesthetic experiences, as this is a facet of life that cannot be replicated in another class. 

Understanding how students learn and how society affects learning is an important part of teaching.  While all students learn, all students do not learn in the same manner.  Socio-economic status can affect the educational process, and many times, resources are limited in areas of low-SES.  This can provide challenges for teachers in this environment.  As I currently teach in this situation, I can understand the daily struggles that many students have.  Resources are limited and families may or may not be supportive of the educational process.  Understanding the struggles and being able to overcome them as a teacher is the key to helping students.  In addition, the process by which a teacher goes about teaching is essential for the success of students.  Many different approaches may need to be had in order for all students to succeed.  What works for one student may not work for another.  The psychological approach for teachers is an important balance to the education system for the students learning of material and social and life skills.


The history of music education is an important facet of my own teaching.  Having only previously heard of Lowell Mason and other early music educators, reading about the beginnings of the educational process has helped me to better understand today’s approach to music education.  Just like in any other area of life, understanding the past is the key to be successful in the future.  While the beginnings of music education were based strictly on performance, today’s music education is organized into concepts with performance being a means to learn the concepts.  Also, in the beginnings it was only available to people who could afford it, today’s music education is provided for all students and not based on socio-economic status.  It is important to understand the history of educational reforms.  While things change over the years, history does tend to repeat itself.  As an advocate for music education, it is imperative that I understand the historical significance of music education to better serve my students and society.

No comments:

Post a Comment